Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Twix Bars + a Day of Silence

Last year I made homemade Twix Bars, but I don't think I ever posted them because I didn't like the way they turned out.
They were such a mess, and although I didn't like their taste, my swim friends did.
Monday was my friend Caroline's birthday, so on Sunday morning I made homemade Twix bars using a different recipe.  
These were incredible.
It's actually not that complicated to make, although it does require some patience.

Twix Bars
Recipe from King Arthur Flour
Caramel recipe from Giver's Log

You'll need:

For the shortbread:
2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour

For the caramel:
{you can melt store bought caramel with heavy cream if you want; i just prefer making my own}
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups heavy cream
2 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

For the chocolate layer:
3 cups milk chocolate
Vegetable shortening (optional) *I used 1 tablespoon butter for every cup chocolate*

Directions:
For the shortbread:
1)  Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.  Line a 9 inch by 13 inch pan with parchment paper.
2) Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla.  Add in the flour.  Beat at medium speed until mixed.  
3)  Lightly press the dough into the pan.  Prick the dough with a fork to allow steam to rise.  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the shortbread is golden. *I had to bake a little longer*
Let cool.

For the caramel:
*I never use a candy thermometer.  I usually can tell by thickness and taste, and when the color turns deep golden brown.  My caramel this time turned out a little thin because the brown sugar made it hard to tell when it was done, but that was okay.  I'll just link the recipe so that you can see what to do with the thermometer.*
If you choose not to do it with a thermometer, you should wait until the caramel thickens before taking it off the stove.  You can use regular sugar instead of brown sugar to help see the color changes.  As soon as it turns a deep golden, it's done.  Remember, it will go from being perfect to burnt in a matter of seconds, so it's important to watch it closely and stir constantly if not using the thermometer.

4)  Once the caramel has cooled a little, pour it over the shortbread layer and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.  You'll probably have some caramel leftover (don't pour it all one!), but just place it in a container and save it!  You'll need it for another recipe next week :)

For the chocolate:

5)  Heat the chocolate over medium heat.  Mix in the butter to make it less thick.  Let it cool. 
6)  Slice the caramel/shortbread down the center of the pan, and then into your individualized portions.   With a spoon, spread the caramel over your shortbread and caramel top.  Place back in the fridge *or freezer like I did* until you are ready to enjoy! 



--------------

Tomorrow, my AP Art class is heading to a local community college for the Arts Festival.  I'm really excited, because it will be a whole day of listening to different artists speak, participating in workshops, and exploring the world of art!  Plus, it's going to be 70 degrees here tomorrow, which I am beyond happy about.

Tomorrow I am also participating in the blog day of silence in honor of Japan.
For Japan With Love was started by Lucia of Utterly Engaged and Lydia of Ever Ours to raise money for Japan following the tragic Tsunami and Earthquake that happened a week ago tomorrow.
They are participating in fundraising efforts where all the money will be donated to ShelterBox.
If you're looking for a good place to donate, check them out.
They are also sponsoring the blog day of silence.  
So tomorrow, March 18th, I will not be posting.
Most of the blog world probably won't be.
It's about taking the time to remember this horrible tragedy.  
For more information, or to get the badge and participate, check this out.
xo


I'll be back on Saturday.  Enjoy your Thursday night/ Friday! xo

1 comment:

i'd love for you to say hi! i normally try to reply to your comment here! xo