Friday, March 11, 2011

Mother Nature



This post is just to expand a bit upon what I wrote earlier.  
In the last ten years, the world has experienced some horrific natural disasters, and every time, they force us to open our eyes just a little bit to a different part of the world.
I think the first time I was truly aware of the capabilities of mother nature was in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit.
My uncle lives in Florida, and although the effects felt there weren't nearly as great as those felt in New Orleans, it was a true wake up call to the world.
Then, in 2006, came that devastating earthquake and tsunami in the Thailand region.  
Since then, we've had Haiti, Chile, New Zealand, and now Japan. 
I really do believe this is mother nature's wake up call to the world.
We are just humans.  We're just one person among this vast force of water, land, and air that surrounds us.  Mother nature's force is beyond our strength.  It's terrifying, horrifying, and maybe just a little bit humbling.  
The point is, it's our wake up call for action.
It's yet another reminder that life is short and things can happen suddenly that can change our lives.
Mother nature can be a glorious, gorgeous thing.
The ocean can be a wonderful, calming body.  I should know, I spend my life around the water.
And yet, in times like these, it can be the one thing that we fear the most.
Because even though we can be rich or strong or brave or just overall amazing.....
we are still only human.
The force of nature is so much stronger then us.
That calming body of water we like to swim, to surf, or to play in.....
can drastically change the world.

I think that's what we need to focus on.  The realization that we are not the greatest thing.  The there is so much more to this life that is bigger then us, and everyday we need to remember that.  
To remember this humbling experience.  To remember to live each day to the fullest.  To remember to say "I love you" to the one's we care about the most.
Because you never know when mother nature may decide to strike her fury.

That being said, the one thing that bothers me during natural disasters is how people become afraid.  Instead of taking it as an opportunity to live life to the fullest, the become fearful of new experiences.  They let their fear take over.  People don't go in the ocean because they are afraid of what it can do.  They decide not to travel because they don't know what will happen overseas.  
I think that's the opposite of what we should do.
Maybe that's just me, but I think we should embrace it.

I have a friend who is in Japan right now with his family.  Luckily, they are all okay.  However, his mom said this:
"I will never travel again". 
Of course, I didn't experience this horrifying catastrophe, so I can't really talk.
But I think it's kind of sad that she will never go out of her comfort zone again all because of one bad experience.

Anyway, I am still praying hard for everyone in Japan right now.  I'm praying for anyone who has family or friends in that country.  I'm praying for those in Hawaii and surrounding areas that are affected by mother nature's fury.
Stay safe.
Again, if you want to know ways to help those affected by the tsunami and earthquake, click here.
xo

*Photo from my trip to Maui, Hawaii in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

i'd love for you to say hi! i normally try to reply to your comment here! xo