As a vegetarian, I am always on the lookout for easy dishes that are filling, clean, and healthy. That being said, I don't just want to eat a salad every night. I love food, but it has to be good food. My mom and I are really good at picking out recipes that we will both like to make during the week. This one is highly recommended.
Spinach and Lemon Orzo Soup
2 TBS Olive Oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
1 1/2 cups orzo pasta
8 cups vegetable broth
Juice of 3 lemons
Fresh Parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Fresh Parmesan, grated (for serving)
*My soup came out a lot thicker then soup, more like stew, so if you want you can do 9 cups of broth. I would also recommend using 4 lemons if you like it really lemon-y.
1) In a pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Cook the garlic and onion in the oil until slightly soft. Turn to medium-high heat and add the pepper flakes, orzo pasta, and spinach. Heat for 1 minute and then add all the broth.
2) Bring to a simmer, then turn the heat down. Continue on the low heat for 15 minutes, or until the orzo is tender.
3) Let cool for a few moments.
4) Quickly whisk the eggs in a separate bowl. Add lemon juice and whisk until the mixture is combined, thick, and yellow.
5) Add a small ladle of the broth to the mixture and whisk. Add one or two more ladles and whisk.
6) Add the mixture to the soup pot and combine. Return to low and and stir.
7) When ready to serve, pour into bowl, and garnish with parsley and parmesan.