Monday, May 2, 2011

Rememberance

I went to bed so early last night that i missed the big news.
So when I woke up this morning and checked the news on my laptop, I was startled and see the headline,
Osama bin Laden is dead.

Dead?  Dead.
At first i thought it was a mistake.  How could it be?
But I soon realized it was the truth.
He is dead.

10 years ago, I was 7 and in school when news of the attacks on the World Trade Center occurred.
Everyone was crying, and I didn't understand.
What is terrorism? I thought.
I lived in a relatively low crime neighborhood and, being 7, wasn't exposed to the harshness of the world fully yet.

That soon changed.  I lived in NJ so all of the ambulences and fire fighters from my towns and neighboring areas rushed to the city to help.

That day is imbeded in my mind forever as one of the most startling, terrifying, and harsh days of my life.
It will forever remind me of how the world's meanness.

This will forever be a day of rememberance for me. 
In my own opinion, it is a day that will hopefully bring us one step closer to peace.

Am I happy that he is dead? Dare I say yes?
Is this a celebration of peace?  Yes.
But should we celebrate his death? No.

A person is still dead.  There's not doubting he was a terrible, terrible man and the world is a much better place without him.  But it still feels weird announcing to the world that we should celebrate his death.

Instead, I will celebrate the lives of those you died.  Remember them forever.
I will celebrate the soilder's who have died to come to this point.
To those who made this possible.
They are the real reasons to celebrate.
From now on, I look forward to peace.
I want to say thank you to all those who made this possible.
I don't think I have ever been prouder to be an American. 

*This is just my opinion on the matter.  xo

1 comment:

  1. "But should we celebrate his death? No."

    You were two years older than I was at the time, and at five I didn't know what was going on, either. I've learned since. But I still don't think that we should be celebrating his death like so many are. A day of remembrance is a good way to change that.

    I also did a post on my blog about his death, and my opinion of the whole thing. Here's a link, if you're interested:

    http://perfectlysensiblenonsense.blogspot.com/2011/05/eye-for-eyemakes-whole-world-blind.html

    Hugs,
    Taylor Lynn <3

    ReplyDelete

i'd love for you to say hi! i normally try to reply to your comment here! xo